MOMs: FROM EDUCATION TO EMPLOYMENT®
The WNY Women’s Foundation’s largest investment is in this research-based program designed to enable single mothers to gain family-sustaining jobs.
WHAT IT IS
The MOMs: From Education to Employment® program supports single mothers pursuing a college education at three area community colleges: SUNY Erie, Niagara County Community College, and Jamestown Community College.
The program was designed based on both national best-practice research and focus groups conducted with the target population as a means to address the barriers to completing an education.
WHAT IT DOES
The program works by eliminating barriers and providing targeted mentorship, support, and scholarships.
Developed by the WNY Women’s Foundation, the MOMs: From Education to Employment® model incorporates case management, academic-success coaching, mentoring, peer-to-peer community building, career guidance, internship and job placement support, and campus cultural awareness building.
WHY IT’S IMPORTANT
Single mothers often face intense and unique obstacles to completing their education, including balancing work, child care, and finances. Investing in single student mothers increases their earnings and leads to a range of multigenerational benefits.
The greatest predictor of a child’s success is their parent’s educational attainment. Children of single mothers see their mother strive for higher education and benefit from the economic stability enjoyed by the whole family as a result of their mother’s postsecondary achievement.
This program isn’t about just one woman succeeding—it’s about lifting hundreds of families out of poverty and setting them on the path to economic self-sufficiency.
NCCC Program Successes:
- 365 mothers have been served by the program.
- 118 graduates to date.
- $14,000+ awarded in Emergency Scholarships.
- 83% retention rate.
SUNY Erie Program Successes:
- 117 mothers served by the program.
- $7,000+ awarded in Emergency Scholarships.
- 92% retention rate.
JCC Program Successes:
- 135 mothers served by the program.
- 30 graduates to date.
- $1300+ awarded in Emergency Scholarships.
- 94% retention rate.
FUNDERS AND SUPPORTERS:
- Alexandria Professional LLC
- Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo
- Elf Foundation
- First Niagara Foundation
- Garman Family Foundation
- Grigg Lewis Foundation
- Health Foundation for Western and Central NY
- Hodgson Russ LLP
- Joseph and Anna Gartner Fund
- Josephine Goodyear Foundation
- Joy Family Foundation
- Margery Nobel
- The Mother Cabrini Health Foundation
- Niagara Area Foundation
- National Grid
- New York Power Authority
- Patrick P. Lee Foundation
- Phil & Nicole Nobel
- Pinto Foundation Fund
- Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Foundation
- Vanita Murthy & Gary Nobel
- United Way of Buffalo and Erie County
- WellCare Health Plans Inc.
- Zonta Club of Kenmore
- And many individual supporters. Thank you!
You can help single mothers complete their education and achieve economic self-sufficiency for their entire family with a donation to the WNY Women’s Foundation today.