The Foundation’s advocacy and initiatives break down barriers and create opportunities for women’s economic security. We work to drive policy decisions and funding for our region to maximize opportunities, leading to economic empowerment and family sustainability.
The WNY Women’s Foundation supports programs, legislation and initiatives that empower women and promote economic opportunity and gender equity.
What is Advocacy? Advocacy requires collective action and strong voices! Be a part of a group of passionate women & men sharing resources and taking action to affect change in Western New York. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn to stay up to date on advocacy issues and receive timely calls to action so you can speak up for women and girls in our community. Take action now!
2019 ADVOCACY PRIORITIES:
Our Advocacy Agenda promotes gender equity and women’s economic empowerment by convening stakeholders, sharing stories and collective knowledge, and utilizing research and influence to affect policy and funding for the benefit of women and girls in Western New York. We aim to be a leading voice for our community’s women and girls through direct and grassroots advocacy in collaboration with local, state-wide, and national partners. This year’s efforts focus around: Women in the Workforce and Women’s Equity. Access the full report here – 2019 WNYWF Advocacy Agenda.
Quality Child Care as a Workforce Support
- Drive funds from State to Erie County for child care subsidy programs
- Secure funding for Erie County Facilitated Child Care Enrollment Program
- Advocate for Erie County Consolidated Service plan allowable option for child care subsidy while in workforce training or education program
- Increase DSS child care subsidy threshold in Niagara County
- Work in collaboration to drive Empire State Child Care Campaign Agenda
- Participate in NYS Reform – High quality child care for all families
- Reduce family share under child care subsidy programs
- Create systems to lift more Women into Leadership – ALL IN
- Develop young female leaders – GenW
- Support state Salary History Ban to prevent employers from discriminating based on past pay
- Voting Access Expansions to reduce barriers to voting that disproportionately impact women
- Advance awareness and systems that eliminate pay disparity
- Promote an accepting environment and reduce barriers to more women in STEM and non-traditional workforce fields
- Advocated for passage of NY State Voting Reforms: early voting, expanded absentee voting and modernized voter registration make it easier for busy women balancing work and family life to vote
- Worked in collaboration with State partners to advance gender equity with the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment, Salary History Ban and equal pay for substantially similar work.
Child Care as a Workforce support & economic driver
- Increased child care subsidy eligibility in Niagara County working with NOAH
- Increase of $7 million allocated for child care subsidies in New York State
- Secured $500 for Erie County Facilitated Enrollment Child Care Subsidy Program.
- Aided in the restoration of the Advantage Aftercare program, affecting over 400 children and easing the minds of WNY parents to continue to work to provide for their families, knowing their children have a safe space to go after school.
Leadership & Influence
- Executive Director appointed to the New York State Child Care Availability Task Force, which is tasked with making bold child care system changes
- Hold leadership roles with Lift Off, Winning Beginnings New York, Empire State Campaign for Child Care, NYS DOH Maternal Child Health Advisory Group and PowerHer.