The WNY Women’s Foundation is the leading advocate for issues affecting women in our region.
What is Advocacy?
Advocacy is about conversations and partnership in Western New York and across New York State, all aimed at creating big, systemic change that empowers women and promotes gender equity.
Advocacy requires collective action and strong voices! Be a part of a group of passionate women & men sharing resources and taking action to affect change in Western New York. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn to stay up to date on advocacy issues and receive timely calls to action so you can speak up for women and girls in our community.
2021 ADVOCACY PRIORITIES
The WNY Women’s Foundation is committed to fostering a vibrant and diverse community, where women have the opportunity to grow and thrive. Our work focuses on women’s economic empowerment and female leadership, supporting women across the region.
This year’s efforts focus around:
- The disproportionate impact of COVID-19 on women
- Women ascending as leaders
- Women’s economic empowerment
Read more about our 2021 Advocacy Agenda:
- Advocated for passage of NY State Voting Reforms: early voting, expanded absentee voting and modernized voter registration make it easier for busy women balancing work and family life to vote
- Worked in collaboration with State partners to advance gender equity with the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment, Salary History Ban and equal pay for substantially similar work.
Child Care as a Workforce support & economic driver
- Increased child care subsidy eligibility in Niagara County working with NOAH
- Increase of $7 million allocated for child care subsidies in New York State
- Secured $500 for Erie County Facilitated Enrollment Child Care Subsidy Program.
- Aided in the restoration of the Advantage Aftercare program, affecting over 400 children and easing the minds of WNY parents to continue to work to provide for their families, knowing their children have a safe space to go after school.
Leadership & Influence
- Executive Director appointed to the New York State Child Care Availability Task Force, which is tasked with making bold child care system changes
- Hold leadership roles with Lift Off, Winning Beginnings New York, Empire State Campaign for Child Care, NYS DOH Maternal Child Health Advisory Group and PowerHer.
You can help our collective movement to empower women with a donation to the WNY Women’s Foundation today.